Sunday, April 12, 2009
Love
While reading Toni Morrison's novel Love I had a lot of questions running thought my mind. There were so many instances when I could not figure out what character I was reading about or how all of them are intertwined. It made it very hard for me to get through the book but I did and it wasn't too bad. I think Morrison uses gender roles and the dynamic roles they play in our relationships. Bill Cosey was such a powerful presense in the novel. He is a man that had an intense impact on each characters life. The women in the book are captured by him and not just in romantic relationships. They take the subdued and emotional roles while Cosey has all the power and doesn't even realize it. Morrison also uses the time period of the book to demonstrate what is was like through the eyes of a black individual back then. Over all I think Love was a worthwile book to read for our class but I don't think I will be adding it to my favorite book list any time soon.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I completely agree with you about the novel being really confusing from all the different characters perspectives. It was a good idea in theory but it made the book very challenging to follow. I also thought it was interesting to see how Cosey had the power to change these women's lives.
ReplyDeleteWe all agree the novel was hard to follow, but i like that you brought up that all of these women are captured by him and not always even in a romantic way. It hard to believe even in this day and age how much power Cosey had over these women and to think about how long ago this story takes place.
ReplyDelete