I really liked the graphic novel Skim. It was an easy read but had a lot of content to get through. Skim's struggles to figure out who who is and what she wants is something each of us have gone through as a young woman and looking back on an experience like hers brings back memories from when I was trying to figure myself out in high school. The characters in the book are all so different. I think my favorite twist is that Skim and Katie end up bringing the best out in each other. I was annoyed with Lisa through out the whole book. She was not a good friend to Skim and didn't seem to care about anyone but herself, but being young means finding out the kind of person you are who your friends will be. The most interesting plot line of the story was between Skim and Mrs. Archer. In my mind there really was an inappropriate relationship going on between them and Skim wasn't just making it up in her head. I feel like that is the reason Mrs. Archer ended up leaving the school. I know what it feels like to have your heart broken at 16 so I can sympathize with the pain and confusion Skim was going thought.
Although I did enjoy the books content I did not like the way it ended. I got to the last page and thought, "what? that's is? what happens next?" I am used to books having a conclusion so it took me by surprise. I wanted to know what happened to these characters. After talking about it though, I realize that that is the way life is. There is not always a story book ending. Not every problem has a resolution. Sometimes we just have to move on and hope our wounds heal over time and that eventually we will know that the experience made us stronger. Over all I thought Skim was a great graphic novel and wouldn't mind reading the sequel if they came out with one.
Wednesday, May 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
That's great that you liked "Skim" because I did not really enjoy it. I also agree with you about how it raised many questions in the readers head. When it was over I also felt like there should be more to the novel.
ReplyDelete